How To Treat Depression In Young Adults
A teenager who looks not good cheer is okay. However, the need to look out for when the unhappy feelings continue until more than two weeks. There are many reasons why a teenager feels unhappy. A stressful environment can trigger depression. The presence of depression, guilt feelings can emerge, declining performance in school, social interaction, make sexual orientation, as well as the disruption of the lives of teens in the family.
Depression is a serious disorder that can affect thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and health in General. Depression knows no age. Old, young, mature, even teenagers can be affected by depression. With a trivial problem is triggered, it could just be teenagers who experience depression do things that aren’t common people imaginable. The most harmful of the depression was the emergence of the idea of suicide or suicide attempts.
Definition of Depression
Depression is a mental disorder that is characterized by the existence of a specific feeling sad, hopeless, discouraged, feeling guilty, slow in thinking, and decreased motivation to perform activities.
Treatment of depression in teenagers there are various methods of therapy can do for adolescents who are experiencing depression. Health workers will consider methods that are appropriate for each individual. Among them with the use of cognitive behavioral therapy, interpersonal psychotherapy, psychodynamic psychotherapy, therapy or using drugs supportive.
Input for parents
become the parents of a teenager is a challenge. Some of the techniques of communication will be necessary and assist parents in raising older children.
- When disciplining a child, not with how to punish and make her embarrassed. Replace the sentence with help provide solutions in a good way. Punishment and shame can make a teen feel useless.
- Let your teenager make mistakes. Attitude overprotection or parents who always took the decision to make teens make them confident that they don’t have the ability. This can make her confidence diminished.
- Provide a space for teens to ‘ breathe ‘. Don’t expect them to do something exactly the same according to the wishes of parents.
- Do not force the child to have the same experiences and activities with you during adolescence.
- If you suspect that your child is experiencing depression, give time to listen to the problem.
- Even if you think that the problem is not a serious problem. Open communication between parents and children is essential, especially when the child showed symptoms of shut down.
- Take the time to listen to their problems without criticism or judgmental.
- Nor underestimate what they are feeling, sometimes teenagers had an excessive reaction to a problem but should parents try to understand that what they feel is true.
- Sometimes teenagers are not looking for advice or solutions to their problems, rather to the support and acceptance, so whatever happens make sure the teens that you will always accompany and assist them whenever needed.
- So the teenagers feel ready to convey their problem, don’t cut with interruptions or trying to organize, just listen to their stories.